pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

avoiding a binge

scale says: 150.4

i really want to see that number drop to the 140s.

breakfast:
coffee w/ tsp of sugar (15)

lunch:
english muffin (120)
turkey bacon (35)
two egg whites (34)
(189)

dinner:
baked chicken breast (140)
green beans (35)
(175)


skinny girl total: 344 (limit 500)
actual total: 379

* * * * *

would have been fine with eating just half of lunch, but boyfriend was like, "why would you only eat 1/2 an english muffin??" so i made the whole damn thing and was very full. dinner will be plain chicken breast and green beans and i skipped breakfast, so i'm not really worried about lunch.

* * * *

a binge is one thing that really scares me. especially now, that i've been doing good and losing weight and i'm sure my stomach has shrunk, because it's gotten really easy to just not want food anymore. most of us have urges to binge sometimes, and we've all heard the same tips before: count to 100, drink lots and lots of water, brush your teeth, get comfortable so making food is an inconvenience, look at thinspo.

but all of those take a moment of clarity and will power to execute. we don't always have that moment. sometimes it feels like you're not totally in control, and that moment of clarity comes when you're halfway through a whole pizza and suddenly your horrified and disgusted with yourself, and because you've already messed up so bad you're like, fuck it, i'll just eat the entire house then. yeah, i've been there.

this last week i've gotten urges to binge, but i fought against them and succeeded, so i thought i'd share a couple of tips that worked for me.

1. don't keep binge foods in the house. i binge on pasta and cereal. there's no more pasta in the house, and i won't be buying anymore. we still have some cereal, but for now i'm exerting will power, so i'm not too worried. soon it will get stale and i'll have a valid excuse to throw it out. (i really, really hate throwing out food that's still good because i don't have a lot of money and it's just such a waste, so i avoid it if i can.)

2. binge on low-calorie foods. sugar-free jello is my favorite for this. i get these sugar-free jello packages from wal-mart, and they're less than a dollar a piece. i make them in pie pans and one box makes about a 1 inch deep pie. best part? each serving has just 5 calories, and the entire box has only 20 calories. you can eat five jello pies and that's still just 100 calories. and of course fruits and veggies are great too, especially filling green veggies like lettuce or celery. you can pretty much stuff yourself with that and you probably won't exceed 100 calories.

3. bake something. i find the smells of food being prepared/cooking suppress my hunger cravings. take some time preparing and cooking your food, and by the time you're done, it might be easier to eat a smaller portion. also try drinking something like coffee or green tea. the smells make your tummy stop grumbling, and then the warm liquid makes you feel better and less hungry!

4. decide to eat something that takes a long time to cook. again jello is a great one here, because it takes at least 2 hours to firm up, plus you have to mix it and the smells will sate your hunger for a bit. also, anything that involves baking for while, like a baked potato, but made in the oven, not the microwave. or sliced apple chips, baked in the oven. or anything involving a crock pot. recently i cooked up some home-made veggie stew. it took about half an hour to chop up all the veggies, then i put it all in the slow cooker for ten hours. when it was finished, i was hungry, but i only ate one bowl because it was just so filling. and it was healthy, too, each serving only had 130 calories!

again, these are just the things that have helped me. it's really easy to combine a few of the tips. the next time i feel a binge coming on, i'm going to make some sugar-free jello which is low-cal, needs some prep work, and takes a long time to be ready. 

another thing: if you are okay with ruining food, then you can choose something totally fatty (like a pot pie or a cake) and make that then stick it in the oven. while it's cooking, get on the computer and look at some thinspo until your willpower has returned, then go into the kitchen and pour salt or pepper or something totally gross on the food, or "forget" about it and let it burn. i personally don't like sabotaging food, so i haven't tried this myself, but i thought i'd share the idea.

hope some of these provide some help!
xoxo

9 comments:

  1. yeah im not one for baking i try and just not get up when i wanna binge caseu the food is downstairs if i stay in my room i catn binge then
    u did great though food wise

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing so well with your cals! Bingeing scares me too. I do something similar to bonesarepure- I go into no-food rooms like the bathroom/bedroom and keep myself busy (reading, do nails etc)
    Thanks so much for sharing your tips! :)
    Stay strong xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the jello idea! I never thought of that. And you're doing great with your cals! Hope you keep up the good work, babydoll. and I've been to the 'fuck it, I'll just eat the whole house' moment soo many times. I'll keep your tips in mind next time I want to binge<3
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. good work suppressing those urges. those are good tips...i like the jello one :) the low cal one i get takes 4 hours to set and i only have to convince myself to stay away from food for those 4 hours, then i shovel the jelly down my gob so fast that i feel full and even a little sick afterwards = perfect! stay strong xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. god your doing sooo well, keep up the good work! i know you can resist the binge!!!

    lots of love S xoxo

    stay strong and safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're insanely good at this. jsyk (:
    today I had Nutella. FAILURE on my part. I'm still going to do the SGD though. I'm following through.
    My netbook is broken :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pleased to see that you've found your own 'binge safety precautions'. This is very important for your success, because we are all different and it's about finding what's right for you. Good job!

    My binges used to include 1litre of chocolate mousse (in one sitting) or 2x 200g slabs of chocolate (in under a minute) or meat pies (2-3 at a time). Dear God, I'm surprised I wasn't bigger. Just look at that! Yikes!

    These days, I'm proud to report healthier binges like basketball sized salads or forests of little broccoli trees or 'bigass' buckets of lightly salted popcorn, no butter! Ah, a fibre-binge, how 'new age'! God, I'm such a hippie!

    I used to binge most when I was very depressed. I now take 5htp (tryptophan) which is a mood enhancer and an appetite suppressant. Chromium picolinate suppresses sweet cravings. (Nature Girl stikes again!)

    Thanks for the great tips and your comment. Find a reply beneath it. X.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips!
    Hahaha i've never done that about ruining the food, what i do is throw it on the floor, like if it's a piece of cake if i feel like i'm gonna go all oooover it haha i intermediately throw it on the floor or run to the nearest trash can & throw it in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jello sounds like a perfect binge food to me. It's almost like a dessert. Thanks for the tips. I used to binge on cereal so that's why I have none even though I could use the bran flakes fiber. I too HATE wasting food. Sometimes I eat stuff just because if I don't I feel like I'm throwing away money.

    ReplyDelete